Tuesday 12 October 2010

Cats and Roads

This night I saw a cat get run over. It got clipped on the head and sent flying by a car, and landed with half of it's head missing and it's eye hanging out, blood pouring over the road. The people I was with looked horrified, one even on the verge of tears. I didn't and still don't understand why, so I just tried to match their expressions as best I could.

The cat was it, seemed, for a time still alive. And it was seizing. It's whole body was shaking violently, the last efforts of a dying body to move to safety perhaps. The image seemed more comical than traumatic.

One of the people I was with said he felt ill, another said he felt "sorry" for the cat, another just stood near tears. Me? I frowned and looked sad, horrified and shocked (a combination that is surprisingly rarely required), but said nothing and definitely didn't experience any sympathy, illness or tears for what is just a dead cat in the road, it's blood flooding onto the black tarmac.

No comments:

Post a Comment